What is Natural or Holistic Dentistry?
Natural Dentistry, also known as holistic or biological dentistry, is an unconventional approach to dentistry that considers the overall health of an individual and not just the oral health. The main idea of natural dentistry is based on the assumption that teeth form a significant part of your body. The holistic dentists try to treat your other health issues together with dental health.
The prime importance in Natural Dentistry is the patient's welfare. The dentists rely on the body's self-healing mechanisms and do not believe in introducing toxic substances as part of dental procedures. Natural Dentistry holds a firm belief that a healthy mouth should be free of toxic materials such as silver in amalgam fillings, stainless steel nickel crowns, and other substances that are being used in traditional dental procedures. One of the major reasons for gum problems is these dental materials which cause allergic reactions. A healthy mouth should have no infections with sound gum tissues.
The holistic dentists believe in finding new and better approaches for dental patients, ones that would support healthier outcomes. They see the jaw, teeth, and gums as part of the whole body's connected systems. If the mouth is unhealthy, it reflects in the other parts of the body.
What are the advantages of Natural Dentistry?
- The holistic dentists do not believe in fluoride's indiscriminate use as it is a harmful toxin that affects the nervous system of human beings. So they try to avoid using fluoride and instead opt for alternative products and procedures to make their patient's teeth stronger.
- Ozone therapy is used in place of fluoride to treat dental cavities as it does not have the harmful effects of fluoride.
- The holistic dentists see the oral health problems in relation to the overall health of the body. The tartar and plaque build-up in your teeth could indicate other health issues in the body, for example, the heart. The bacteria present in gum diseases are also found in heart disease patients, cancer cells, and in the brains of Alzheimer's patients. So the main focus of a holistic dentist is balancing bacteria in a person's mouth and their overall health.
- As a part of their holistic thinking, the dentists provide safe mercury amalgam removal methods and use biocompatible material to restore your bite and smile. So the teeth are fixed and cleaned, keeping the patient's general well-being.
- Holistic dentistry is high tech treatment involving modern, minimally invasive procedures and treatments. This technology includes advanced 3D low-dose digital x-rays, lasers to treat gum diseases, high-tech ceramic dental implants, and same-day crown technology.
- Snoring, sleep apnea, and sleep disorders can lead to heart attacks, strokes, high blood pressure, and sudden death. A holistically manufactured mouth-piece will ensure a clear airway and allow for an undisturbed sleep throughout the night.
Call us at West Valley Natural Dentistry or schedule an online appointment to know more about Natural Dentistry.