CEREC is an abbreviation for Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics. It is a ceramic reconstruction process that includes a digital scan of the affected tooth, a 3D restoration design, and ceramic restoration fabrication. The entire process is completed in a single dental visit. CEREC is a 3D system for manufacturing dental prostheses such as crowns, inlays/onlays, and veneers and fitted on the same day.
What is the procedure involved in CEREC Same-Day Crowns?
CEREC uses CAD/CAM, computer-aided design, and computer-aided manufacturing technology combining a camera, computer, and milling machine in one device. After the initial consultation, the dentist captures an accurate image of the damaged tooth using a special camera. The optical image is transferred and displayed on a color computer screen. With the help of this optical image, the dentist using CAD technology, designs the restoration crown. The CEREC machine makes the ceramic crown according to your tooth's shape and specifications. Finally, the crown is polished and fixed inside your mouth. The entire process is completed in about 2 hours.
What are the advantages of CEREC Same-Day Crowns?
- As the CEREC crowns are fabricated on the same day in a single sitting, it helps you save time.
- They cost the same as the other ceramic crowns and help you save time and money as they can be fitted in a single appointment.
- There is minimal sensitivity after the procedure as no impression pastes are used.
- In traditional crowns, the dentist fits you with a temporary crown until the permanent one gets ready. But the temporary crowns may not fit well or even fall out, causing you discomfort. This problem can be eliminated with same-day crowns.
- As the CEREC crowns are made of ceramics, you don't have to worry about being allergic to any metal.
- Same-day crowns are teeth-friendly. These crowns keep your tooth stronger as they require minimal drilling, and very little enamel is removed from the tooth.
- It prevents further decay of the tooth as you don't have to wait until the crown is fabricated. With CEREC crowns, one can have a crown fitted in a single session.
- A missing tooth can alter your speech, smile, and eating patterns. The same-day crowns will restore all these functions in a single day.
- CEREC crowns are made from the same dental porcelain used in the regular labs. Hence their quality, strength, and durability are the same as the traditional crowns made in the labs.
- The patient feels a sense of involvement during the entire course of treatment as the crown's design and fabrication take place in your presence.
How long do the CEREC crowns last?
The CEREC crowns can last the entire life span of a patient. The crucial factor determining the life span of the crown depends on the health of the underlying tooth. With good oral hygiene practices and timely dental visits, same-day crowns can last for a long time.
Call us at West Valley Natural Dentistry or schedule an online appointment to know more about CEREC Same-Day Crowns.