Dental Veneers are wafer-thin coverings designed to cover the front portion of the teeth to improve your smile. These thin-coverings are attached to the front teeth using adhesives to change their color, size, and shape. They enhance the aesthetics of your smile and protect the tooth’s surface from further damage. The veneers are customized products that are designed to hide the defects of your front teeth and in no way strengthen or repair them. They can be fixed to either a single tooth or multiple teeth. With the use of good material, they can last for 15-20 years.
What are the merits of Veneers?
- Veneers are useful in replacing the damaged enamel. Years of wear and tear and consuming acidic foods, the enamel can get damaged. In such cases, veneers are an excellent solution to conceal the enamel abrasion.
- They offer an easy solution to brighten your smile. Smoking and drinking beverages like tea, coffee, and red wine can stain or discolor your teeth. Veneers are stain-resistant; hence you don’t have to worry about their discoloration.
- Veneers can conceal minor misalignments, cracks, gaps between teeth, and broken teeth.
- They can also fix minor cosmetic problems. They help cover-up orthodontic problems such as gapped or crooked teeth.
How are the Veneers fitted?
First, consult your dentist and decide on the type of veneers that could solve your cosmetic problem. The impressions are taken, and the teeth are prepared for the actual procedure. A thin layer of the tooth’s enamel is removed to attach the veneers. Local anesthesia is not required as only a small amount of drilling is done. The thinning of the enamel creates space for the veneers, and the final look is very natural. The veneers are fabricated to match the shades of the existing teeth. Finally, the veneers are fitted on the teeth after being checked for bite and alignment issues.
What are the different kinds of Veneers?
- Porcelain Veneers:Porcelain is the most common material used to make veneers as they have a close resemblance to natural teeth. It is strong and durable and doesn’t stain easily. As they are just 0.5mm in thickness, only a small amount of the tooth’s enamel is removed to place the veneers.
- Composite Resin Veneers:They are composed of tooth-colored material and bonded to the tooth. These veneers are easy to fix and cost less in comparison to porcelain veneers. In case of damage, they can be repaired quickly.
- Instant Veneers: They are pre-fabricated veneers and can be attached immediately to the teeth. They cost less than porcelain or composite veneer.
- Lumineers:In recent times, this variety of veneers has become quite popular. It is just 0.2mm in thickness, and the removal of the tooth’s enamel is not required and can be straight away fixed to the teeth.
Call us at West Valley Natural Dentistry or schedule an online appointment to know more about Veneers.