A dental implant is a surgical fitting that is placed into the jawbone and allowed to merge with the bone over a period of a few months. The missing tooth is replaced with a dental implant. The implants provide a strong base for permanent or removable teeth that match the shade of your original set of teeth. It is comprised of a ceramic crown and a titanium root that integrates with the bone. This procedure of fusion between the dental implant and the jawbone is called ‘Osseointegration.’
A Dental implant surgery provides a good alternative to dentures or bridges when the natural tooth roots don’t have enough bone to support the dentures or bridges. This surgery involves multiple procedures, and the entire process may take several months. The implants give solid support for the new teeth that require the bone to grow around the implant.
What are the advantages of Dental Implants?
There are several advantages of Dental Implants.
- The implants help enhance the outward appearance of an individual. They look and act like your natural teeth. Since they are designed to join with the jawbone, they become permanent.
- There will be a significant improvement in the way a person speaks. As they are permanent fixtures of your mouth, they make it easy to speak without any hassles.
- The implants give you increased comfort. As they are part of you, the implants reduce the uneasiness of the removable dentures.
- Dental implants help you get back your self-confidence. It boosts you and gives back your smile, and makes you feel better about yourself.
- Removable dentures can make eating and chewing your food difficult. As the implants function similarly to your original teeth, one can eat all kinds of food without any fear.
- Implants are long-lasting, ranging from 15-20 years with proper care. They are strong and durable.
- As they permanent fixtures, it eliminates the inconvenience of removing dentures as well as the need for messy adhesives to hold them in position.
- There is an improvement in overall dental health.
What are the steps involved in getting the dental implant?
The first step in the implant process is to consult your dentist and develop a customized plan of treatment. The treatment plan should take into consideration your specific needs based on factors such as jawbone size and other health parameters like blood pressure, diabetes, etc. A few scans and x-rays of the patient’s mouth are taken, which will be useful in preparing the crown and help in the fitting of implant s.
The actual procedure includes the numbing of the teeth by using local anesthesia. Next, the tooth root implant, which is a small post made of titanium, is placed in the bone socket of the missing tooth. As the jawbone starts healing, it starts growing around the implant holding it firmly in the jaw. A considerable time is allowed for the healing process, which normally lasts for about six to twelve weeks.
As the dental implant has fused with the jawbone, a small connector post called an abutment is fixed to the post to hold the new tooth firmly. A crown is then attached to the abutment. The crown acts as a cap for the implant and is made to match the color of your natural teeth. It is checked to see if it fits perfectly, and a bite test is also carried out. If required, the necessary changes are done before the crown is bonded permanently with dental adhesives.
Call us at West Valley Natural Dentistry or schedule an online appointment to know more about Dental Implants.